Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Man Utd 3 - Liverpool 0

United took a firmer grip on top spot in the Premier League with the win on Sun against one of our traditional foes - Liverpool. I must admit, this was possibly one of the best games I missed this season. I was in Melaka for Easter and I was on my way back when the game was in play. We left Melaka at about 9pm - exactly when the game started. But I had Paul Michael and Sir (Surin) calling me and texting the updates as the game went by.

Among the scorers were Wes Brown, Ronaldo (yup, he never stops scoring) and Nani. Brown had scored his first goal of the season and only the third of his career to give United control at the break. Ronaldo and Nani netted inside the last 11 minutes. It was a wonder goal by Nani. Stopping the cross from Rooney in his stride and taking the ball to the centre of the D before slamming it home.
Nani and Evra celebrating after the beautiful goal scored by Nani, 9 minutes from time

United brought back goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar and defender Rio Ferdinand after groin and back injuries respectively, while Paul Scholes and skipper Ryan Giggs also returned.

Liverpool were unchanged after seven straight victories - a run which was to end in the 150th league meeting between these clubs. What an end it was! Many of you all know I have a special love for Liverpool - I know it is very unlikely of a United fan. But I am a lover of football. Liverpool is one of the clubs which has produced some of the best football in the entire Premier League. Be it in the 80s or even the early 90s. It was a pity to see the club struggling the way they are right now. But, this is the Premier League and United has to win and from what I can see, they will continue to win every match in order to seal the title back-to-back.

Glory Glory Man Utd! - To the Pudlians, good luck in the remaining fixtures.

No comments: